We provide high quality research in quest of scientific knowledge to supplement evidence-
based decision making. We do research to inform action, to prove theories, and contribute to
developing knowledge. Our team of highly qualified and experienced professionals of varied
domains has been contributing to various initiatives in the country.
Some research initiatives we have worked on in partnership with leading global and national
- Baseline study to measure anaemia levels among non-pregnant women to understand the associated factors and knowledge and practices around use of iron and folic acid supplementation in Madhya Pradesh.
- Mapping of organizations working in adolescent health in 10 Laboratory Districts of Rashtriya Kishor Swasthya Karyakram in 9 states of India
- Assessing vulnerabilities among the children under the project titled, ‘Protecting Children through Child Protection Community ‘Cadre’ across the states of West Bengal and Jharkhand
- Baseline study in Pune and Aizawl districts of Maharashtra and Mizoram respectively to ascertain the knowledge, attitude and practices of the secondary school children on current understanding of education, health, Gender, Socio-emotional learning and community engagement.
- Baseline study to assess implementation of home-based care for young child (HBYC) in Gaya and Sitamarhi districts, Bihar in its flagship initiative ‘Alive & Thrive’
- Baseline Study to assess the status of child marriage in Godda and Jamtara Districts of Jharkhand.
- Impact Assessment of Skill Building of Adolescent Girls attending Night Schools in Mumbai.
- Impact assessment of current public education policies in the Night Schools and sustainable alternatives to guarantee their future.
- Sulochana Thapar Foundation: Data Validation in ‘Saksham’ project in 16 tribal blocks of Maharashtra to improve the coverage of maternal, newborn, infants and child related nutritional indicators among pregnant women, nursing mothers and children below 3 years of age.
- Exploring various inclusive models on education being implemented by NGOs in the State of Maharashtra.
- Generating evidence on community level, facility level and health systems related aspects of Dengue treatment and management in Gorakhpur city of Uttar Pradesh.
- Rapid assessment on national level readiness for implementation of Nurturing Care Framework for Early Childhood Development.
We partner with organizations to build capacities of their staff and relevant stakeholders by
way of introducing innovative tools and techniques that enables them to think and act
strategically, articulate a powerful and cogent vision for the future and develop proactive
strategies to achieve their programmatic goals. Our pool of experts develops training
modules, design methodologies for varied level of professionals including policy makers,
programme managers and the field workforce.
A set of capacity building initiatives we have worked on in partnership with leading global
and national organizations are:
- JHPIEGO: Business Modelling and Rapid Prototyping for the initiative Manyata for Mothers.
- Canterbury Christ Church University UK – Capacitating the organizations of Southern India on scientific research methods and processes
- Government of Madhya Pradesh: Capacitating the health system on preparedness and response to COVID-19 by training the Medical Officers, Staff Nurses, Auxiliary Nurse Midwives and ASHAs on COVID-19 prevention and management
We are committed to extend support for review and analysis of Policies, Standards,
Procedures and Guidelines through which public policies are shaped and implemented. We
help in detecting its strengths and weaknesses so as to build an understanding on how an
effective change be brought in during its implementation. Our team is skilled in systematic
investigation of alternative policy options and the process of gathering and integrating the
evidence for and against each option.
Some of the key initiatives we have contributed to are:
- Developing Implementation Framework for ‘Multi-Sectoral Engagement in Healthy Ageing’ – Translating priorities for Decade of Healthy Ageing (2020-2030) into Action
- Developing Comprehensive Health Data Model for the Smart Cities Mission to help visualize the health of smart cities
- Establishment of Skills Lab for health service providers of Pune Municipal Corporation
- Providing technical support in conceptualization and development of an implementable Plan of Action (POA) for multi-sectoral collaboration at city level to impact RMNCH outcomes for Government of India and USAID
- Development and dissemination of national operational plan for the implementation of India Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health (I-WACH).
- Technical support for patient safety and quality of health services related activities.
- Providing technical support for emergency response on Covid-19 and quality of health services for advancing universal health coverage.
Our team is expert in identifying key knowledge needs and bottlenecks, as well as developing
an overall knowledge management strategy. Our unique strength is in conducting policy
analysis, secondary research and field research to understand the knowledge needs and issues
focusing on vast range of developmental themes. In doing so, we partner with organizations
across varied programmatic interventions.
Some of the partnerships we have contributed to are:
- Preparing a technical report on the journey of maternal health services in India with specific focus on the growth of midwifery services.
- Developing a technical report and research papers on State of Mothers in India
- Drafting an analytical report on the Health and Wellness Centers of Ayushman Bharat Program
So as to contribute to the overall development of the adolescents in the country SCHOOL has
formulated a platform called ‘Teen Coalition’, which is primarily created for bringing about
engagement, enabling interface between government and civil society and extending
implementation support to the organizations working for the development of adolescents on
various issues and in various geographies of India.
The objectives of Teen Coalition are to:
- Promote overall well-being of adolescents in India so as to aid their transition to adulthood and offer them better life outcomes:
- Focus on efforts for improving mental health, imparting life skills and managing motivation to complete education; providing vocational inputs for ensuring better livelihood outcomes.
SCHOOL team actively engages with a number of organizations so as to:
- Identify gaps with regard to the 4 focus areas of: health, education, skilling & vocational guidance
- Identify donors and CSR bodies that can potentially fund regional consortia that works on projects for adolescent development
- Establish thought leadership and knowledge base for further programming by other organisations
Activities undertaken through Teen Coalition:
- National and regional consultations (in Delhi and in the states of MP, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and the North-East) to understand the issues and challenges faced by the organizations working with the adolescents and tabling these in front of the national and state governments for sensitization and bringing about support to the CSOs and NGOs through different government schemes and available resources.
- Capacity building workshops for the local CSOs and NGOs in administration, resource mobilization and field implementation.
- Partnership and deliberations with NCPCR on issues pertaining to substance misuse and mental health of adolescents.
- Awareness campaigns and one-on-one counselling sessions with adolescent girls on menstrual hygiene management in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh
- Development of resource mobilization strategy and plans for regional projects in the North-east to tackle the issue of substance misuse and in the eastern India on vocational success of girl students.